Two week Mass Miatas at the Gap Trip
Trip Update: This trip had been full but at this time (early April 2010) two couples have had to cancel. Their motel reservations are now available - if you've been contemplating going this is your opportunity to join the group of 13 other cars going on a Miata trip of a lifetime. Contact Jon Weinberg asap (first come, first served), and I will put you in touch with the parties to arrange for switching their motel reservations. Also...
- several couples will only be doing the first week of the trip. If you'd like to come and make your own reservations for the first week you can take their reservations for the second week. Contact me for details...
- once these two cancellation reservations are gone I'll start a waiting list in case there are any other cancellations. Make sure you contact me if you're interested.
If you like seriously twisty roads, spectacular mountain scenery, and southern BBQ
this trip is for you.
Every Miata enthusiast should make the pilgrimage to Deals Gap
and drive the Tail of the Dragon
at least once in their lifetime!
This will be a spectacular two week trip to attend the annual
Miatas at the Gap
on the Tennessee/North Carolina border along the southern edge of the Smoky Mountains.
We're planning this way in advance so you can start saving your
pennies and vacation days. Also, after each year's event accomodations for the next
year fill up quickly, and we're anticipating a record crowd
for the 20th anniversary of the Miata.
NOTE that there is no charge for attending this event. Your only costs will be food,
lodging, and gas. We'll try to keep costs to a minimum by staying in comfortable,
modestly priced motels and lodges, and by trying to eat as much good BBQ as we can stand.
Here is the itinerary:
If you are interested in going please
send an email ASAP to Jon Weinberg
to reserve your spot.
I'll provide each attendee lodging contact info and prices (with group discount
codes where applicable) so you can make your lodging and ferry reservations asap.
- Leave Mass the Saturday before MATG
- Drive one big day and spend the night in Hagerstown, MD
- Take three days to drive the entire lengths of the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway down to the Smokies
- Possibly stop off in Asheville NC and visit the Vanderbuilt Mansion/Biltmore Estate
- Stay Tue. - Sat. at Fontana Village arriving there a day or two before MATG starts to drive the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway together in a loop, in advance of the crowds
- Attend MATG Thurs - Sun - there will be opportunities to drive the Dragon again as well as other great twisty roads in the area, including the Forest Heritage Scenic Byway (NC215 and US276), the Mountain Waters Scenic Byway (NC 1442), NC route 28, and others
- Leave on Sun heading north through the mountains, taking the Appalachian Medley Byway (NC209), US19W, the "Snake" (US 421), and NC route 88
- Drive across NC to the coast to take the Cedar Island to Ocracoke ferry, drive along the outer banks with a stop at Kitty Hawk
- Spend two nights and a day off in Virginia Beach where you can visit the Norfolk Naval Station, Busch Gardens in Willaimsburg, Jamestown Settlement, or just lay on the beach
- Return home by taking the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel, driving up the DelMarVa peninsula and then taking turnpikes and interstates to the Bay State
Due to logistics there will be a limit of 15 cars so the earlier you sign up the better. Otherwise latecomers may have
to find their own accommodations near where the group will be staying, and may
have difficulty finding space near Deals Gap.
This will be awesome!